Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Starlings, World Tree and Standing Stone

World Tree, Standing Stone & Branwen's Starling Messengers
Petaluma California
February 15 2010
by Dawn NicDarrah


It is amazing what you will encounter when you take the less traveled back roads. Monday was a holiday - no school for our daughters, no work for my ex-husband . . . it was a family day and another lovely one at that! We decided to avoid the highway and meandered along country roads south and west of us to make our way out to the Point Reyes Station area. As you can see it was quite a sunny and lovely day . . . it was a different story out on the coast, but that is for another post. As we drove along on our family outing I had everyone keeping their eyes open for Acacia in Bloom (it is prolific this time of year - time to buy local honey to ease the allergies) and Redtail Hawks. My husband agreed to pull over should we spot our targets in time to stop safely. Of course I do not limit my focus . . . actually I was distracted by other gifts of nature as we drove and 'missed' a few target opportunities, but it was well worth it and I eventually got at least a few photos of Acacia. The tree and stone combination above nearly made me jump out of my seat (we were in a convvertable - blessings on having seat-belts). I was happy to take drive by shots, but my husband - wonderful as always - made a u-turn and brought me to a stop directly before this stunning view. There were cows lowing in the field and starlings chatting away as they took turns flying in group formations, racing down low along the lush green field and up again to the bare oak branches. It seemed as if the stone was guarding the tree. I feel I have found a new image to focus on for Imramma and will return in a few weeks and through the months to take more photos as the tree leafs out with the changing seasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment