Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Solitary Bee

Solitary Bee

Sonoma County, California

March 24, 2010

by Dawn NicDarrah




Today was a garden day . . . the only time I feel happy with the aches because I know I did a good job working my bottom off in the garden. Most of the weeds have been pulled . . . things that did not survive the winter have been recycled or removed . . . and a whole mess of rearranging followed. Tomorrow we might even pull out the hammock . . . provided that is the rain stops falling that started soon after night fall this evening. I took a lot of photos today too . . . including the photos here of a solitary bee . . . there were honey bees and bumble bees as well, but this little bee was so patient at her work that I was actually able to take a photo with my finger up close to her to give scale while she continued working. Thought I would share these tonight and more tomorrow. Enjoy the peacefulness this little loner offers . . .


1 comment:

  1. Nice photos. But that's a fly. :)

    Almost certainly a syrphid, actually, which are more loosely called hover flies.

    ReplyDelete