Monday, March 8, 2010

In The Garden Of Renewal

Common Lilac ~ New LeavesSonoma County, California
March 8, 2010
by Dawn NicDarrah



We have seen the obvious signs of spring returning . . . the hybrid cherry tree street-side in front of our house was the first on the block to bloom . . . our youngest daughter attributes this to the magical presence of the 'others' ::grin:: (faery for those unsure of who the 'other's' are)

We have been starting seedlings indoors for our tiny back yard garden . . . looking to plant more flowers this year to attract the bees and keep them happy since the jasmine, roses and lavender didn't seem like enough last year (along with all the flowers of the fruit giving plants that we tried to grow as well) . . . and as usual we have planted some acorns to nurture into mighty oaks (I'll post a photo soon of one the acorns sprouting) . . . I have been keeping a watchful eye over the plants to see which ones have made it through the cold winter. I remain hopeful for my favorite English Lavender which was hard hit by the cold . . . as well as the apple tree . . . but I am thrilled to announce that the grapes are coming back (a few leaves sprouted today) along with the Japanese Maples. A flurry of young trees intended for bonsai workings are sending out tiny leaves and the Rosemary is blooming beautifully. But it my blessed Lilacs that made me smile wide today!

I cannot recall my first encounter with a Lilac (where, when, how old I was) . . . but I know I have loved them all my life and I have always wanted to grow my own. They grew outside my room in a house I rented in Oakland (but the landlords were obsessed and used garden care as an excuse to be present around the house - trimming shrubs and trees to the point of killing them – including my lovely lilac) and then there was the lilac at the house in Boyes Hot Springs . . . a neighbor had planted it in their yard but the spot lacked sun so the plant worked its way under the fence and grew on my side. Well last year I finally got two young lilac plants . . . after 8 years of living on the river in the shade of the redwoods and unable to grow anything (virtually - at least not the herbs, vegetable, fruit and flowers I was interested in growing – mold grew nicely though) I was so thrilled to be in a location with SUN. The sale on lilacs only spurred me on ::grin::

Our citrus trees are looking a bit worn from this winter even though I covered them for protection (I have had them at this house for almost 6 years since my in-laws lived here and let us grow a few things while we lived in shadows) . . . the grapevines looked winter worn as well . . . anything bare had me biting my lip, hoping they would show signs of surviving the longer than usual freeze of this past winter.

I don't think I was holding my breath each time I walked around the back yard looking for signs of life . . . but suddenly I feel as if I am breathing easier. I am thrilled that the lilacs are healthy and putting forth leaves and I look forward to watching the rest of the garden unfurl. All the little buds speak of this being a time of renewal and today I can feel it . . . even though the clouds are rolling in with sporadic showers and hauling in another cold front in its wake . . .

Soon enough there will be lilac blooms scenting the warming air just outside my window, mingling with the scent of the jasmine, lavender and roses . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment